Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Small Steps Lead to Giant Leaps

The process of spiritual maturation can be daunting. I often become overwhelmed at how little growth I see in myself compared to what I desire and what I know God desires for me. I have students text me almost weekly and ask questions like, "How do I know I am looking more like Christ?" or "How can I be a Christian when I make so many mistakes?" Just like my own questioning it leads to despair. However, when  having these times of discouragement, I am reminded of Jesus' words, “If anyone would come after me, he must first deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it” (Mark 8:34-35 NIV). 

 The passage is laid out by Jesus himself in steps: deny, take up, follow.... steps. Now these steps aren't a coincidence. These aren't just SOME steps to spiritual maturity, these are THE steps! The denial of self and the desires of the self. To take up or assume upon oneself the new life Jesus offers. Finally, continue to follow Jesus into the service of his kingdom. When we take these "small" steps daily, we discover down the road what  a giant leap we've made from who we use to be!

No comments: