Monday, April 18, 2011

Why the Maven?

A re-posting of a blog from Aug, 2008-


my wife asked was it presumptuous of me to be an "expert" in youth ministry? though i wanted to say no-lol, i knew i should explain . I first encountered this word in Malcom Gladwell's great work Tipping Point. (highly recommended reading btw) now, i do not presume myself to be an expert at anything, except maybe eating-lol. i do however want to stay true to the epistemological roots of the word. per Encarta:

noun
Definition: expert or enthusiast: an expert or knowledgeable enthusiast

[Mid-20th century. Via Yiddish meyvn< Hebrew mēḇīn "somebody who understands"]

though i would love to become an "expert" in some ways, i really just want to be what the Hebrew word intends, "somebody who understands"

After 13 years of YM (this will always stand for Youth Ministry or Minister) i have served in small country churches, in the bible belt, in "catholic country" of Louisiana, 5 different churches, in 4 states, a "big" church yada, yada. my point is , i want this blog to be a resource for all of us who want to talk, vent, encourage, love, confess, and become all that Christ has called we YM's to be! so i hope this explains the name and forgive me please if it seems presumptuous, i humbly submit my life on this blog not for accolades, but for true community and friendship in the journey Christ has called me and others.............

1 comment:

Brent Lowry said...

An expert on eating...that makes two of us. Look forward to reading.