Sunday, July 22, 2012

I'm Batman....

Sitting in a hotel room it scrolled across the screen: "Breaking News: Shooting in Colorado Theatre at opening of Batman Movie." Sadly I was almost none responsive as if I was completely inoculated in our day of shootings, terrorism, and ramped depravity. But after a moment, my gut sank, my throat got dry and I began to mourn. I mourned for those in that theatre, who simply went to be entertained and enjoy a movie, but instead lost their life or had their life altered forever physically, emotionally or psychologically. I mourned for the shooter, his brokenness, his depth of hopelessness and the shear sadness of a person constructing such evil in his heart. I mourned for families, parents, spouses, Moms and Dads who suffered unmentionable loss in that theatre. I also in the moments ahead thought back to years before, the very day that I stood before the students in my very first Youth group to explain why two kids went into their school and began to kill classmates in a brutal savage way. I am reminded of the human condition and the ever deepening sense of reaching as many people as I can with the hope of Jesus...Why does God allow such things to happen? I think the better question is Even though such things happen, why does God keep lovingly pursuing people like us? Lord may I never forget that without you, I am simply a Dark Knight vigilante myself...thank you for calling me into your great light!

No comments: