Friday, May 16, 2014

3 Escapes From Your Social Media

 In my last blog post I gave 3 signs that you need to take a break from your social media. Basically some unhealthy habits that could speak to a larger issue of dependency on or maybe even an "addiction" to your social networks. If you're like me, you don't like to be told "why" but not "how". 

So here are 3 ways you can adjust your life in light of these warning signs:
(From least-most extreme measure)

1. Place your phone or tablet under your Bible, a new book, or newspaper. Just giving one layer of distraction from and encouragement toward something else could help resist the temptation to dive directly into your feeds when you wake up!

2. Place your social media devices in another room entirely. We have habit of plugging in those devices beside our beds. I mean we are using them right up until time to sleep so we just reach over and plug them in. Oh, we also use them for our alarm clock right? I encourage you to have a "bed time" for devices. Research says being off of them 30 minutes before going to bed could help in time needed to fall asleep and quality of sleep! Perhaps another blog post coming ;)

3. Delete social media apps for 30 days. I know, I know... This is the most extreme measure ever! As many teenagers would say "I just can't!!" However, depending on how well you can receive the above suggestions may be the litmus test results for you that your dependence on these social media platforms is extraordinarily unhealthy. You don't lose any thing and you're not deleting your account (though that might be needed for some) Simply remove them for 30 days and replace that time with reading, praying or simply having a convo with those in your presence.

Social media is an all-important part of our life and culture and I certainly am not excused from the last two blogs penned. But as with any thing, I want to leverage it to look more like Jesus, not it leveraging me to look more like the world!


What are some other tips or suggestions you have used to take a break from social media?

No comments: