Tuesday, May 6, 2014

3 Things I Re-learned at Orange Conference

 Conferences are such a blessing and privilege for anyone to attend, especially if they help you sharpen your skills, heighten your passion or help you see something brand new! I had the privilege of attending #OC14 last week, a conference experience for all those who serve the church in some capacity for kids and families of all ages! If you're reading this, you probably already know, but if by chance you are not familiar with this strategy than here is a link to Orange to find out more. I am not sure about you, but usually when I got to conferences I come home excited but with this nagging thought in my head that, "there's no way I can pull that off!" However, #OC14 was different!

  Now their talent pool, resources, and format are of the greatest excellence and there is absolutely no way I could ever replicate it in my setting! However, I wanted to share the 3 things I came home with that weren't necessarily new, but helpful, timely and encouraging:

1.  People matter- I guess as a minister and someone who has served in the church my entire adult life you would think this would be a given, but the reality of ministry is that programs, budgets, and the "next thing" can cloud my thoughts quickly. The bottom line is that People are what’s important! Sure Budgets and programming are realities that help guide ministry, but it should never dictate it!

2. Smaller is still better I love high-energy worship services! I always enjoy a great vocal, guitar solo, and a meaty message from the Word, but nothing helps form people into the image of Jesus like a small group of people to live life with. Small Groups (however you label them) should receive much of the attention, efforts, and resources of the church, rather than everything being in that one basket of an hour on Sunday! And the caveat to this is constantly developing those small group leaders. (This is a post in itself)

3. Cooperation is Vital- Churches in general but age specific ministries within the church especially should never operate in a silo's of segregation but instead should be fostered to coagulate. This WILL not happen naturally in any organization! Harmonious ministries that support, love and celebrate one another must be intentionally formed and intentionally shaped with the end in mind and kept from anything that takes their eyes off of that common end!

I would love to hear from anyone else who attended #OC14 or #Catalyst or any other great conference this year- What are your top 3 highlights?

No comments: